Wednesday 29 February 2012

Working with materials.

We had to pick three materials, a heavy weight, a light weight, and a medium weight. I picked..

Heavy weight: Heshin.
Medium Weight: Poly-cotton.
Light Weight: Netting.

I found the netting to be too stiff for a light weight so I used Organza as a second lightweight material.

Again we cut out our shapes using different sizes, only this time we cut them out of different materials instead of paper. It was interesting to see how the materials work on the stand compared to paper. I found paper was easier to manipulate, but at the same time it was much more delicate and crinkled alot easier.
It was also interesting to see how the materials differed to eachother when placed on the manican. I found the light weight materials were harder to manipulate than the heavy weight material. I also thought the light weight materials look alot more delicate and flimsy as the draped.
My favourite matierals to work with were the Poly-cotton and the netting. I found both had enough stiffness so you could manipulate them to create certain shapes,but at the same time they looked delicate and flimsy as they draped slightly.

These are some of the designs I created on the manican with materials.
 Heavy weight: Heshin.
 Medium Weight: Poly-Cotton.

 Light Weight: Organza
 Light Weight: Netting.

















This was made using a combination of Poly Cotton, Heshin and Netting.

No comments:

Post a Comment