Friday 23 March 2012

Wroking with some fabrics..

We then began to look at our pictures, sketches, paper patterns, etc. and try and transform them to fabric. I began trying to give a sense of the various images by manipulating and mark-making on fabric.

This swatch is to represent a picture of a decayed tree. I got a piece of carpet and cut the shape of the eroded parts into it. I then scrunched up back sack material and sewed it underneath so it would protrude out of the carpet.
This swatch is to represent the same image as the one above. I made this swatch using a similar idea but using different materials. I cut the eroded part of the tree out of heshin. I then cut out a piece of wadding and painted it with latex ( that was dyed using acrylic paint). I used heshin as it's a very organic natural looking material. I used wadding because it has a rough feel to it. I think the latex highlights the roughness of the material. I really like the swatch.
 This was to represent a picture of planks of wood laid on top of each other. Here I just used material for a floor mop as material and black ink to create the print.
 This swatch is inspired from my photo of footed turf. I used acrylic paint and ink on carpet. I picked this material because I think its texture resembles the texture of turf.
 Here I burnt into the fabric using a lighter. This was to resemble a picture of tiny pebbles on the ground. I think the small holes and crinkles from the burn resemble pebbles quite well.
 This was made using a new technique I learnt. This technique is called shaboori. I placed stones and rocks in the fabric and tied them tightly. I then placed the piece into boiling water. This kept their shape when I untied them. I used this material because it has a grainy, fluffy texture like that of a rock. I think this piece turns out really well.

I meant this piece to resemble my picture of the silver gates. It went wrong as I sewed the pleats badly. I still liked the idea so I kept two of the pleats for a swatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment